Keri Facer on purpose/ed – what is education for?
Purpose/ed is an online and in-person gathering together of people with an interest in rethinking about the purpose of education.
It arose from Prof Keri Facer‘s keynote presentation at JISC’s 2010 Innovating E-Learning Conference, ‘Learning to live in interesting times – what are educational institutions for?’, which is available on the conference archives for viewing or download.
On Purpose/ed Keri Facer writes a short piece ending with some questions which promise good things from this group.
- What is your vision for the good society?
- What is the part that education can play in achieving that and what is the part that others need to play? Who are these others? What is/what should be their relationship to education?
- What are the building blocks we have in our schools and universities already that could move them towards that role?
- What are the building blocks outside formal education?
- What are the impediments to change and what causes them? And are there good reasons for these?
- What can I see of merit in the ideas of those who disagree with me?
- Do the ideas I suggest draw on the expertise and insight of others?
- Do the ideas I suggest offer enough benefit to outweight the disruption that they would cause in their realisation? how would we get there?