Learning Technology jottings at Goldsmiths

Thoughts and deeds

Posts Tagged ‘upgrade

Changes made to site admin since November upgrade

leave a comment »

Blog entries:
1.9 default settings for students are VERY restrictive. This was first change as part of upgrade testing

This error message: “Error: Database connection failed. It is possible that the database is overloaded or otherwise not running properly. The site administrator should also check that the database details have been correctly specified in config.php” appeared after posting as student. Changed in Users > Permissions > Define roles > Student. Set createblog entries to ALLOW

  • Also set to allow: create tags, manage tags

To unenrol from a course as student:
The unenrol option under student profile in a course was missing. I changed in define roles> students and set “unassign own role” to ALLOWS

To delete files in course areas:
A 1.9 default setting is to disallow file deletion (for REFERENCED files); at first we changed this [in site admin> modules> activities> resource], but have now decided to retain it for discussion tomorrow. It forces staff to think about links to it and to remove these too [NB Sonja worry: some won’t understand this – must make how2 about it. Will do, whichever way we decide].

When on the Admin page, the site asks if you really want to log out, thought at first is new setting, but pertains only to being on that page. So is ok.

View participants:

Although for students this is not set, the default is obviously ok, students can view each other.

Modules> Activities > Forums

Enabled RSS feeds, changed default upload limit from 500k to 2Mb


currently nothing set for students, we need to discuss.


set to allow html code in name of resources – changed 19th November 2008


Written by Sonja Grussendorf

November 6, 2008 at 15:31

Posted in Uncategorized

Tagged with , ,